Installing the patch¶
News: Windows-only installer end-of-life announcement
As of May 2019, we dropped support for the old Windows-only installer. The new installer has much better compatibility, works on Windows, Linux and Mac, and has an entirely new UI.
The installer combines all the patches available to create the best experience possible. It will automatically download and install the following content:
- Full voiceover
- PS3 backgrounds and CGs in Full HD
- PS3 sprites with lipsync in 1440p
- Updated MangaGamer sprites in 1440p
- Upgraded user interface
- Opening videos
- (NEW!) Revert to old Higurashi soundtrack and sound effects
Multiplatform installer (Windows, Mac and Linux)¶
Multiplatform installer instructions¶
Click on your operating system below for instructions on downloading and launching the installer.
- Download and Run the
07th-Mod.Installer.Windows.exefile from the Download Page
- A Windows SmartScreen warning may appear. If it does, click "More info", then choose "Run anyway".
- A console window will popup. DO NOT CLOSE THIS WINDOW until you are finished using the installer.
- Wait while the installer extracts to the folder
- When extraction is finished, the installer GUI (a web page) will open. DO NOT CLOSE THIS PAGE.
- Continue with the instructions below.
- Download the Mac Installer
- Double-click on the zip to extract it (your browser may automatically do this after downloading)
!!! warning The zip contains two hidden files that are required by the installer. If you try to move the `install` file out of the folder, it won't be able to find them. If you really want to move the `install` file out of the folder, press ⇧⌘. (Shift-Command-Period) to temporarily enable showing of hidden files and copy the `.7za` and `.aria2c` files to the same folder.
- Right click on the file called
- If prompted with a security prompt, choose
Linux Users: GNOME Desktop and Ubuntu causes Game Crash - Workaround
GNOME Desktop (the default on Ubuntu) will cause Higurashi Ep.4 and upwards to crash the entire desktop. This happens even on the base game (without any mods applied). A workaround for this is to install XFCE desktop. You can follow this guide to install XFCE desktop (it can be installed alongside GNOME). Please make sure you can launch the base game before applying any mods (for ease of installation, please don't make any saves on the base game).
- Install the following using your distribution's package manager:
- Python (2 or 3)
- Python Tkinter
sudo apt-get install python-tk
- Arch Linux:
sudo pacman -S tk
sudo dnf install python2-tkinteror
sudo dnf install python3-tkinter
- If your distribution is not listed, you may need to lookup how to install tkinter on your particular distribution
- Download and extract the Linux Installer
- Run the shell script called
- Download and Run the
Opening the installer will launch a page in your browser. Do not close this page.
- On the web page that was just launched, click on the game you want to mod.
Fill in your game path, and mod options as applicable, then start the installation.
Mac - If path auto-detection fails - Finding Game Path Manually
If game path auto-detection fails, you can follow these instructions to find the game path:
- Click the big green "Select Application (.app file) Manually (Open File Dialog)" button, just below the path entry textbox.
- A Finder window entitled "Please choose a game to install to" will open. We will leave it for now, but need it later so don't close it
- Open Steam, and navigate to your game list
- Right-click on the game you want to mod in the game list, and select "Properties"
- Navigate to the "LOCAL FILES" tab of the window that popped up
- Click "Browse Local Files". Another finder window will pop up, showing the game files.
- Locate the "Umineko1to4"/"HigurashiEp0X" file, which should visually have a proper game icon. Ignore the other files without a proper icon. These files have the ".app" extension, but the extension may be hidden.
- Drag and drop the file onto the previously opened "Please choose a game to install to" Finder Window
- Click the "Choose" button
For reference, the default steam folder is
~/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/, but yours may be different.
To stop an install that is in progress, you MUST close the terminal window (the black box with lots of text).
- Carefully read the information that appears once the install has finished.
Installer FAQ and Troubleshooting¶
Can't launch installer - I get a
http.client.UnknownProtocol: HTTP/2.0 error when using a VPN or proxy¶
Please try running the installer without going through a VPN or proxy. Some company/school networks may also cause the same error, as they act as a proxy.
Specifically, "UltraSurf VPN" is known to cause this problem.
Installer crashes on launch - The log has a "TimeoutError: [WinError 10060] A connection attempt failed ..."¶
Please check if any antivirus/firewall software is blocking the installer. "Comodo Firewall" is known to cause this issue.
Windows - Installer crashes on launch - A Python-related error is raised¶
Please move the installer .exe to a fresh subfolder and run it from there. This forces a fresh re-extraction of the installer files.
Download stage of installer fails - I get a SSL/TLS handshake failure from Aria2c¶
Some users have reported getting the following error (will appear in the log):
SSL/TLS handshake failure: Error: The revocation function was unable to check revocation because the revocation server was offline.
The following may help you fix this issue:
- Disable any VPN or proxy you are using, or try a different internet connection if you are at a school/hotel/business etc.
- If you have any Windows updates in-progress, let them fully complete before running the installer (including required restarts)
- Reboot your computer, then try running the installer again
This installer is currently in development. You might find bugs, and things might not always work - We would be grateful if you report bugs on Github or our Discord server.
(Power Users Only) Install from Source
Install these dependencies:
- Python (2 or 3)
- Python Tkinter
Clone our git repository:
git clone https://github.com/07th-mod/python-patcher.git
python main.pyor the equivalent command on your system
The web page is hosted entirely locally (and only on the loopback interface) on your computer by the installer - it is not hosted on a remote web page.