1. Umineko Mod Information - Please Read¶
This patch modifies the newest release of Umineko by MangaGamer, attempting to replicate the PS3 version of the game. It is compatible with both the Steam and DRM-free versions of the game.
Just looking for the Downloads?
I highly recommend you read this wiki, so that you are prepared for any problems you may face. However if you wish to skip straight to the downloads, then use the Cross Platform Installer.
Please continue reading below for the "full" instructions and information on the Umineko Mod.
This page contains important information you should read before installing. But here is the summary:
- If you have problems, check the Troubleshooting page
- If you have any existing save slots, and you mod or upgrade the game, your Save Slots WILL randomly jump you somewhere in the game. This can cause spoilers. Therefore, don't modify the game while you're in the middle of a chapter (read below for more details).
- Computers with old or slow CPUs may have trouble running the game - Poor Performance FAQ
- There is a mod settings menu in-game that you should look at at least once.
- Updating the mod is only supported by re-installing (overwriting it)
- Steam Sync is disabled by default. To enable it, run the
EnableSteamSync.batlocated in the game folder. See the 'Known Issues' section of this page for reasoning.
- The old Ryukishi sprites are not properly supported (see below)
You've read the page, right? Please proceed to Part 2: Mod Options
Regarding Saves and Chapter Progress (Please Read)¶
Saves Slots are NOT compatible between the stock game and the patched game. Save slots between different versions of the patched game may not be compatible - they might skip you forwards / backwards in the script (the
0.u file). For this reason, you should only update your script after completing an episode.
Chapter Progress (whether you have completed a particular chapter or not) IS compatible between the stock and patched game. If you lose your chapter progress, use the 'Unlock' button next to each chapter to unlock it. Make sure not to miss out on the tea-parties or ???? if you use the unlock button.
Updating from older versions¶
We don't properly support updating the game, but you can do it by re-installing the game over an existing installation (either manually or automatically). You can speed up re-installation by keeping your installer temp files, shown at the end of the installation.
As per the above, save files are not compatible when we update the game. Therefore, you should only update your script after completing an episode. If you update your game while in the middle of a chapter, you risk your save files to stop working, or your save files randomly jumping you forward in the game!
You can check for major updates in the Mod Options - News section.
You can change some settings from the in-game mod menu. While playing the game and the text is not animating, right click to bring up the menu. Click the right hand side options/menu button. This shows the options allowing you to change the music and voice volume.
[insert mod menu picture here]
- Steam Sync is disabled (See the "Steam Sync doesn't work!" FAQ if you wish to re-enable it)
- For the Question Arcs, the voice quality near the start of the game is poor for some characters (sounds like a phasing effect). The raw PS3 audio files have this problem as well, so I don't think we can fix this.
Disclaimer about old 'Ryukishi' sprites¶
A proper ryukishi/pachinko sprites option is currently in development. We'll try to add it as an option in the installer for the 'full' patch.
The old 'Ryukishi' sprites are not fully supported, as described below:
- For the Question Arcs, you can toggle sprites via the right-click menu
- The Answer arcs CANNOT do this
- There may be some bugs when the old sprites are used
If you really want to play with old sprites, you have the following options:
- Play Question and Answer arcs using the 'Voice only' option
- Play Question arcs with the Full patch, and Answer arcs with the 'voice only' option (and try to ignore the background art style changes)
- I have attempted to make a special script which allows you to use old sprites on the Answer Arcs, but it is not properly supported. It is listed in the 'Unsupported Options' on the 'Mod Options' page.