5. Umineko FAQ¶
Welcome to the Umineko FAQ. You can find your question using the instant search bar at the top of the screen, or the Table of Contents on the right.
What if my issue is not listed below?¶
Please proceed to Umineko Support.
Game Crashes / Freeze¶
The engine is known to crash or freeze under certain conditions:
- during skip mode, the game can freeze (get stuck)
- can hard crash randomly ("This program has stopped working...")
- can hard crash at specific points of the game (for example:
- in the Question just before a scene at the festival
If you repeatedly get crashes at a certain point of the game, you can try to do the following (not guaranteed to work):
- create a save as close as possible to the crash
- restart your computer (to try to cause different memory conditions for the game)
- load the save repeatedly and try to get past the crash:
- try using skip mode (hold CTRL)
- try restarting your computer periodically if you still can't get past it
These crashes can happen on the unmodded game too, but it's possible the increased resolution/graphics cause the crashes to happen more often.
Mod Menu - Question Arcs¶
- Changing any ADV related setting will clear the text currently on the screen. You can still view the cleared text on the backlog.
- There are certain parts of the game which are always displayed in NVL mode (text over the whole screen). If you enable ADV mode during these sections, the ADV textbox won't appear until the NVL section ends.
- You can navigate the menu with directional arrow keys on the Question arcs, but not on the Answer arcs. To fix this, you can copy the Umineko Question .exe into the Answer Arcs and run it instead, BUT this may silently break things in the Answer arcs - do so at your own risk.
Steam updated and now my saves are missing!¶
Rename your folder
mysav, this should restore your progress when using the new executable.
My saves are all broken/shifted backwards/forwards in the game!¶
The following can cause your saves to break:
- Updating to a new script. If you need to update, finish a chapter first before updating the script.
- Transferring your game from Windows 7 to Windows 10 (Or between operating systems)
- Editing the script file, and adding/removing lines (editing existing lines is OK)
- Steam updates (see above FAQ)
The game does feature a 'subchapter select' menu for each chapter, allowing you to skip to a certain point in the chapter. However it is only unlocked once you complete the chapter, so is not useful unless you are replaying the game.
Note that your chapter unlock status should always be maintained, unless you delete your global save file.
'No game script found' error when launching the game¶
You forgot to rename the script file
0.u (located in the root game directory)
I want to play with the original sprites/ryushi sprites/adv mode etc.¶
See the Mod Options page.
Linux/MacOSX - Missing libpng.so libraries when launching game outside Steam resulting in Black Screen¶
To fix this issue, download and extract this archive to the game directory (it should overwrite the
lib64 folder): https://07th-mod.com/Beato/linux-libpng-libjpeg.7z
The alternative way to fix this issue is to make sure Steam is installed, then run the game through Steam (not by clicking on the .exe).
Linux/MacOSX - I can't launch the game (No Execute Permissions)¶
You may need to do
chmod +x Umineko1to4 or
chmod +x Umineko5to8 to give execute permissions if your executable doesn't launch.
Inputs don't work correctly, or the game constantly skips / Controller Support¶
If you have this problem, try unplugging any controllers you have connected to the computer, and use only the mouse and keyboard to play.
The game actually has controller support, even though it's not advertised.
The main issue is that, if a controller is plugged in, it will always be active, even if you're using the mouse and keyboard. The default keybinding for "skip" is right trigger, which is easy to hold down by putting the controller down or having a sticky right trigger - if this happens and you don't realize it, the game will constantly skip.
Here is a list of the controls (on a generic controller):
Often used controls¶
- "a" - Equivalent to pressing the "Esc" key on your keyboard, use to exit menus
- "y" - Right click (open/close game menu)
- "b" - Left click
- "up/down on the dpad/left thumbstick" - Up and Down only are used to navigate the menus. Don't try to use left and right as it doesn't actually move to the left or right item, and can cause the menu to close (see below).
Less used controls¶
- "left/right on the dpad/left thumbstick" - Equivalent to mousewheel up and down, used for accessing the backlog, but can also cause you to exit menus.
- "start" - Enter Autoplay Mode
- "right trigger/right button" - Enter Skip mode
You probably don't want to press these¶
- "back/select" - Cycles the text speed between low, medium, and high
- "up/right on the right thumbstick" - Enter Autoplay Mode
- "down/left on the right thumbstick" - Exit Autoplay Mode
- other buttons - I couldn't figure out if any of the other buttons do anything.
The game has poor performance, even on high end systems¶
We're currently investigating some reports of poor performance, especially on the Umineko Answer arcs.
Please note that the Umineko game engine heavily relies on single threaded CPU performance. This may mean that, even if you have a great GPU, an older CPU may cause you to lag or drop frames. On very underpowered machines (like netbooks with Atom processors, or old laptops), performance won't be very good - we recommend using a different machine to play if possible.
Having many programs running in the background can also affect performance, especially on low end systems. Please close other programs (including your browser) before running the game.
The game also seems to perform worse as your screen resolution increases (especially on integrated graphics). You can test this by playing in windowed mode, and reducing the window size - the performance should improve. If this is your problem, try reducing your desktop resolution to 1080p (the resolution the game runs at).
We have had a couple reports of high end systems having performance problems - we are currently investigating this issue.
Suddenly all my sound/audio/voices/music has stopped working¶
In this game engine, pressing 'm' mutes all sound - you probably pressed this by accident. Press 'm' again to unmute.
The voices at the start of the Question Arcs have some minor distortion¶
This seems to be inherent to the audio files of the PS3 game (either when they were recorded, or during mixdown). However the quality seems to improve as you progress through the game - it's mainly during the start of Episode 1 when it is noticeable.
Text advances too slowly/quickly¶
Press the 1 (slow), 2 (normal), or 3 (fast) keys while the game is not animating text to change the text speed. The full list of controls can be viewed by pressing the "Controls" button on the main menu.
Sometimes voices don't play¶
The game has some issues with playing back voice files, depending on the timing of when you click to advance (if you click just before a voice stops playing, it may cancel the next voice line being played). We don't really know of a solution to this problem, as it happens pretty randomly.
That said, if you find there is some spoken dialogue which never plays a voice, and seems like it should, please tell us so we can fix it up. Just make sure it's reproducible by playing through that line a couple times.
Steam Sync doesn't work!¶
Previously we had some issues with steam updating the game and loading 'patched' saves into the 'unpatched' script, which could potentially skip you forward in the game. To prevent this, we hid the save folder from Steam, as
mysav. Unfortunately, this also breaks Steam Sync.
If you want to re-enable steam sync, you can do the following: - rename the
saves folder to
saves_old (if it exists) - double click
EnableSteamSync.bat (if you don't have it, download this and rename it as a .bat file) - if successful, you should see a shortcut called
saves appear in the game folder (might need to refresh the folder). If you double click it, you will see the contents of the
mysav folder. This tricks steam into syncing the mysav folder.
Please note that even if you move the game folder, your save files will still go into
...\Steam\steamapps\common\Umineko\mysav, no matter where you place the game folder.
How do I make the game launch in fullscreen automatically¶
Launch the game with the
--fullscreen option. You can do this by creating a shortcut, then changing the 'Target' to
My save files have disappeared or changed unexpectedly¶
If you have the Steam version of Umineko, and you move or copy the game outside of the default folder, the save folder location will change if Steam is not running:
- If steam is not running, the (modded) game will use the
mysavfolder next to the game executable
- If steam is running, the (modded) game will use the
mysavfolder located wherever steam thinks it's installed. Probably this is your
Please be aware of this if you want to move the game. Steamless/Mangagamer versions of the game probably are unaffected by this.
Also to note is that the base game will save to the
saves folder, and the modded game will save to the
mysav folder. But please note that the base and modded game saves are not compatible!
I've finished the game, but some Steam achievements are missing¶
If you do not have steam running, the game will not register achievements. If you think you've wrongly missed an achievement, don't worry - once you've finished the game, we've added a button on the Mod Menu to forcibly unlock all achievements (right click while in-game, then click "Options", then "Unlock All Achievements").
There is also one achievement for the Question Arcs which is difficult to unlock, "Trumpet Blues". I suggest googling it if that is the one you are missing.